Not technically, I know. But once September hits, my brain goes into fall mode.
I love the summer, but there is something about the fall that I just love even more. Actually, there are quite a few things I love about it. And I’m going to share them with you today… in the form of a list. 🙂
1. The weather: I always get sad when it starts to get cold again after the summer and I need to carry a coat with me. But I love the “fall breeze.” It becomes appropriate again to wear boots and scarves, but is still warm enough out to wear capris and flip flops. Unfortunately, that gorgeous fall weather doesn’t stay all that long, but I’ll still take it while I can get it.
2. The trees: I can’t help it. I love driving around and seeing all the leaves change color. It makes for a beautiful drive wherever I go.
3. Pumpkin… everything: The day I walked into Dunkin Donuts this year and saw the pumpkin muffins were back I think I literally jumped for joy. They are just too good for words. And so is pumpkin spice coffee, and pumpkin donuts, and pumpkin pie… need I go on?
4. The smell: Okay, I know I’m reaching. But … have you ever gone outside and said something like “It smells like rain?” or “It smells like snow?” Well, I love going outside and thinking, “Yup, it smells like fall!”
5. Speaking of smell.. all the autumn scented candles: I love walking into Yankee Candle or anywhere really and smelling all the wonderfulness of fall in the form of an apple spice, pumpkin pie, and salted caramel candle.
6. Hot chocolate: Let’s get serious. I drink hot chocolate all year round. But there’s something about the cool air of the fall that makes it that much better.
7. Topsfield Fair: For those of you not from the north shore (which is probably all of you), the Topsfield Fair is an annual festival for two weeks in October. There’s rides, food, animals, etc. and it’s the signature of fall to me. I haven’t gone in a couple of years (It’s expensive!) but when I get a chance to go I enjoy every second of it.
8. Crunchy leaves: C’mon. You know you love spotting those crunchy leaves on the sidewalk and purposely walking that way just so you can step on them. There’s only one time of year where that’s possible!
9. Memories: Some of my favorite memories of a kid took place in the fall — Apple picking with my family, making scarecrows of my parents and calling my dad the fat one (ha!), dressing up as all the Disney princesses for Halloween. I love remembering those each year.
10. Everything: I hope this isn’t a cop out, but I truly love everything about it. The only thing that really sucks is that after the fall.. comes the winter. But I guess I’ll just have to enjoy the three months of fall while it’s here 🙂
Before I wrap up this post, I want to take a quick second to remember that fateful day in September 12 years ago. I was in 5th grade and when we were supposed to go out for recess they told us we couldn’t because of a family of skunks. A naive kid, I didn’t know what was going on. Until I saw my mom home from work early on a Tuesday and wondered why. When my parents told me and I saw the news, I still wasn’t exactly sure what was happening. 12 years later and the shock and terror of that day still lives on. Though I didn’t lose anyone that day, I remember all the fallen and thank all the men and women who fought hard & continue to fight for us and our freedom. God bless America!
What’s your favorite season or fall memory? Share them with me! 🙂