So who’s with me? Are we ready to sing some Christmas tunes?
As I said before, Christmas is kind of a big deal to me. I belt out carols like I was actually a good singer. Today I’d like to share with you some of my favorite holiday songs and invite you to, please, sing along.
[There will be a lot of videos in this post, so I apologize for the length… and any ads that may occur!]
P.S. There are many versions of each of these songs – I’m just picking ones that I either love or whichever I can find!
1. Bing Crosby – White Christmas
“May your days be merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white.”
2. Harry Connick, Jr. – Sleigh Ride
“Giddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up, it’s grand, just holding your hand. We’re riding along with a song of a wintry fairyland!”
3. Bobby Helms – Jingle Bell Rock
“What a bright time, it’s the right time, to rock the night away.”
4. The Twelve Pains of Christmas (No clue who this is by, but here’s a random video with the hilarious lyrics!)
“Fine! You’re so smart, you wring up the lights!!”
5. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
“A scooter for Jimmy, a dolly for Sue, the kind that will even say how do you do?”
Funny story about this song. My dad’s kind of a jokester so one day we were listening to this song and instead of saying “the kind that will even say how do you do?” he said “the kind that will even say up your kazoo!” And so it stuck.
6. Andy Williams – It’s The Most Wonderful Time
“There’ll be parties for hosting, marshmallows for toasting, and caroling out in the snow. There’ll be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of Christmases long, long ago!”
Quick note: Do any of you roast marshmallows or tell ghost stories on Christmas? Me either.
7. Jingle Bells
“Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh! what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh.”
I have another funny story with this one. My nana used to have this Christmas decoration – it was an old lady in a rocking chair knitting and it would play this song. Well, because it was so old it used to say “Jingle balls.” I didn’t really get it until years later.
8. Adam Sandler – The Hanukkah Song <- that’s how I saw it spelled on the Internet!! Also, Chanukah started on the 8th this year, so it’s a good place for this song!
“O.J. Simpson – not a Jew! But guess who is… hall of famer Rod Carew (he converted!)
9. Bing Crosby – Mele Kalikimaka (No idea why I love this song so much, but it’s one of my favorites!)
“Here we know that Christmas will be green and bright. The sun will shine by day and all the stars at night. Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii’s way to say Merry Christmas to you!”
10. Josh Groban – O Holy Night
“Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we, with all our hearts we praise His holy name.”
By the way – What a voice Josh Groban has, huh?
11. Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey – Baby, It’s Cold Outside
“I wish I knew how – your eyes are like starlight now. To break this spell – I’ll take your hat, your hair looks swell. I ought to say no, no, no, sir – Mind if I move a little closer?”
12. Feliz Navidad
I can’t have a favorite line because they only say like three things, but it’s just so catchy!
13. “To my big brother George, the richest man in town” — Auld Lang Syne from “It’s A Wonderful Life.” Enjoy a clip from my favorite movie of all time.
“Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.”
I know it’s not part of the song, but… I love it so there it is!
14. Bing Crosby – Deck the Halls (I like Bing okay!?)
“Sing we joyous, all together, fa la la la la, la la la la!”
15. Frank Sinatra – Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
“He sees you when you’re sleeping, he knows when you’re awake. He knows if you’ve been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!”
16. Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas (live!)
“And everyone is singing, I hear those sleigh bells ringing. Santa won’t you bring me the one I really need? Won’t you please bring my baby to me?”
17. Britney Spears – My Only Wish (This Year)
“Santa can you hear me, I have been so good this year. And all I want is one thing, Tell me my true love is near.”
18. Newsong – Christmas Shoes
“Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please. It’s Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size. Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there’s not much time. You see she’s been sick for quite a while and I know these shoes would make her smile and I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight.”
And cue the waterworks right about… now.
19. Cascada – Last Christmas
“Merry Christmas, I wrapped it up and sent it with a note saying ‘I love you,’ I meant it.”
20. Dominick the Donkey
“Santa’s got a little friend his name is Dominick! The cutest little donkey, you never see him kick!”
My papa’s name was Dominick and he was Italian so when I hear this song I think of him and smile. RIP!
21. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
“Then how the reindeer loved him as they shouted out with glee, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, you’ll go down in history.”
I’m full of Christmas spirit after listening to all of those songs and I hope you are, too. Send me a note in the comments about your favorite holiday tune and keep on spreading that Christmas cheer!