Especially when they give us hard working college students long weekends.
Yes, Columbus Day is upon us in a few days and I’m sure all of us are thrilled – except for all of you people who don’t get work off, then I deeply apologize. But in light of this holiday, I’m going to give you a list of 21 holidays that fall on the 21st of the month.
I know Columbus Day is on the 8th, but the odd thing about that is my birthday is 8/21. So it sort of fits!
We all know the major holidays celebrated in the U.S., but what about the silly holidays (like National Talk Like a Pirate Day, arrgh)? Maybe you can convince your boss to give you the day off for Love Your Pet Day?
1. January 21 – National Hugging Day: Self explanatory. Everyone loves a good hug. Unless it’s from Michael Myers or something.
2. January 21 – Squirrel Appreciation Day: If anything, squirrels should thank the nice pedestrians who swerve out of the way for them when they absentmindedly run across the road. But, hey, kill two birds with one stone and celebrate hugging day and give those critters a big hug.
3. February 21 – Love Your Pet Day: Aren’t you supposed to show your pet some love every day? Well, go out and buy your kitty some cat nip and your dog a bone and let them know that you really, truly care.
4. March 21 – Children’s Poetry Day: Are you a poet? Did you know it? Is your child? Let them go wild! Not too wild, though..
5. April 21 – Kindergarten Day: Everyone wishes they could go back to Kindergarten for a day. Here’s your excuse!
6. May 21 – National Waiter/Waitress Day: I don’t think anyone will be going out to eat on this day because if it’s a holiday celebrating the help, that probably means bigger tips.
7. June 21 – Cuckoo Warning Day: Everyone’s heard of Groundhog Day, right? No one’s really sure how accurate Mr. Phil is when he steps out to see his shadow. Well, this holiday is right up there with it. Supposedly, if you hear the cuckoo on this day, it’s going to be a wet summer. Shall we all pray for no cuckoo?
8. June 21 – Go Skate Day: It was created to promote skateboarding, but I don’t see why you can’t rollerblade if you wanted to.
9. July 21 – National Tug-of-War Tournament Day: Why did I never know about this one before? Grab your friends and a rope (behave!) and go tug of war until your arms fall off.
10. July 21 – National Junk Food Day: People really need to learn about this one. Forget about dieting, forget about exercise, just pig out all day on all of your favorite foods and feel absolutely no guilt about it whatsoever.
11. August 21 – Alex’s birthday. I know it may not be recognized as a holiday, but it is. So join with me in celebrating it for the entire month of August.
12. August 21 – This day is also National Spumoni Day: Celebrate this day of ice cream that is supposed to be sliced not scooped! Strange, yet satisfying.
13. September 21 – International Banana Festival: These holidays just keep getting better and better. Grab a banana, banana bread, banana pie, banana pudding, Gwen Stefani and her b-a-n-a-n-a-s, and go crazy!
14. September 21 – Miniature Golf Day: Even if you hate mini golf, it’s kind of cool that it has a day.
15. October 21 – Babbling Day: As if some people need a day for babbling, but if you do – go for it. Just go on and on about how you read a blog the other day and it was all about the number 21 and it was kind of strange but different and pretty awesome and how you loved it and would recommend it to everyone… okay breathe.
16. October 21 – Count Your Buttons Day: You know, just in case you’re missing some.
17. November 21 – World Hello Day: Go on top of a mountain, or just a really high stool, and yell “HELLO WORLD” like you’ve always wanted.
18. November 21 – False Confessions Day: This sounds like fun. Make up something totally crazy that you know would freak people out. Let them believe it’s true for the day then let them know they are totally gullible for believing it the next.
19. December 21 – Look at the Bright Side Day: Look at the bright side, there is no bright side. Just kidding!
20. December 21 – National Flashlight Day: Come on. Flashlights have a day, but Alex’s birthday doesn’t?
21. December 21 – Hamburger Day: McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys, they’re ALL waiting for you.
Alright, there you have it: 21 awesome holidays that you probably never knew existed and that you must now celebrate.
I’ll be celebrating 10, 11, and 15. How about you? Sound off in the comments!